Thursday, February 01, 2007

Simply Disgusted...

2 different types of human traffic on one day within a space of a few hours!Quite a feat ah?? It can be both that both are religious occassions.One a soccer match and the other thaipoosam. Haha...

Soccer is definitely a passionate sport in this nation where everyone dwells over what happened in EPL. That does not mean one has to act like a hooligon. This judgement of mine is only reserved for a certain group of priviledged people.

Initially the spectators were scary with their sheer noise,number and choice of language but later that just became annoying. Cheering is fine but jeering?I can almost swear that there didn't used to be almost any form of jeering during soccer matches when I was young. Maybe a little. I used to have a great time then as everyone just wanted to have Clean Fun.But the spectators then were definitely better behaved than yesterday's.Actually,Anyone would be better behaved than the spectators yesterday.Being clean, green and even 'kiasu' is one thing.But being ungracious and Rude!That is certainly not tolerable. People my age were the source of annoyance.But what shocked me most was a group of Grown-Up Men (in the their thirites or even forties) in the front who were also hurling vulgarities at Thailand.One was on the verge of jumping over the railings. I do not know if these men have children.But if that was my dad, I would be definitely be ashamed of him.

I guess I was more fascianted by the "Real" Singaporeans than by the poor show Singapore was putting up on the field. The match was a joke. Getting agitated over a joke is kinda of ridiculous but defintely not funny. I was at the lower tier right behind Thailand's goal post(before half-time). At one point,there were four Thai reserves who were training on the track just behind the goal post. The "extremely polite" crowd I was surrounded by was using foul language to call the 4 poor souls. Feeling ignored by their lack of reply,someone from the crowd threw a metal drink at them. Minutes later,one or two water bottles followed.That was not all. One of the Grown-Up Men in blue threw his half eaten nasi lemak which was in plastic container towards them.Luckily,none of the items hit them. Then a cop appeared by his side and asked him about the stuff he threw. The man denied knowledge. The crowd which was chanting a particular foul word was now directing the chant towards that one cop. That moment was unforgettable as my friend and I froze in shock.He is a cop for goodness sake! But they were obviously not used to reading the minds of others as they could not hear my desperate thoughts. The cop could not do anything as he was obviously outnumbered. Hamsa was very tempted to tell the cop that the man in blue was the culprit.I pointed out to her that we would probably get mobbed after that. Having no other choice ,she fell silent.

Scariness-->Fustration->Numbness. I have never felt more numb at a soccer match.I attributed it to the pleasure I derived from the extensive use of "proper" words. The excitement I normally feel during a live match was negligible due to my numbness. Many others were annoyed by the rowdy group.Having fun is ok as long as it does not encroach upon another person.I hardly clapped or cheered after a point which was a huge contrast to the beginning of the game,where I was madly cheering after Singapore scored a goal.

And I thought thaipoosam was bad enough with a few bad eggs who use God's name to create havoc.I assume blasphemy is their forte. The hype during thaipoosam was nothing compared to the match.

The match made feel very embarrassed and Disgusted to be a Singaporean. No matter where I want to fly off to,home is still home.It is a place where you are comfortable,secured and sheltered.After yesterday's showdown,I doubt I will ever feel comfortable in another match here.

Towards the end of the match,there were lots of cops surrounding the Thai supporters as the crowd was getting out of hand. I was seriously fearful for their safety.

Hamsa and I thought maybe education does play a part in how a person behaves. This is just a thought. The haves and the have-nots. There is a fine line between being a fan and a hooligan. Those people definitely crossed that line.

No comments: